How much does weight loss surgery cost?
The price of weight loss surgery at Utah Valley Hospital (formerly Utah Valley Regional Medical Center) is dependent on many factors. The total price will change according to the amount your insurance covers, how long your recovery time is and what surgery you decide to have. Please speak to our program coordinator if you have more questions.
Will my insurance cover my surgery?
While many insurances cover the cost of weight loss surgery, others do not. Our program coordinator can help you determine what weight loss surgery benefits are offered by your insurance company. The customer service department at of your insurance company can also answer your questions.
Am I eligible for weight loss surgery?
Not everyone suffering from obesity should have weight loss surgery. The following factors should be taken into consideration:
- People who have a Body Mass Index (BMI) of 40 kg/m2 or greater or who are 100 lbs. or more overweight.
- Someone with a Body Mass Index (BMI) between 35 and 40 kg/m2 with significant comorbidities (other related diseases)
- People who have failed other medically managed weight-loss programs.
If you have any questions about whether or not you are a candidate for weight loss surgery, please call (801) 357-2294.
Which of the three weight loss surgeries would be the best for me?
While the best way to determine which weight-loss surgery is best for you is speaking with a weight loss physician, the decision is also based on the following criteria:
- Your personal and health goals
- The cause of your obesity
- A sound understanding of your eating patterns
- Your specific body type
- Your risk tolerance
- Your ability to tolerate and accept consequences or side effects
- Other medical conditions you may have
What should I expect after I have my surgery?
Weight loss surgery is only a tool to assist you in making healthy lifestyle changes. If you use the tool as prescribed, you will be able to make the long term changes needed to be a healthier you. Please call the RN coordinator with specific questions.