Since Utah Valley Regional Medical Center first opened its doors in 1939, we have been committed to meeting the healthcare needs of the individuals and families in Utah County and Central and Southern Utah.
Utah Valley Regional Medical Center was originally founded in 1939 as Utah Valley Hospital. With 55 beds and 38 physicians, the hospital was busy from day one.
60 beds were added, bringing the capacity to 115.
At the request of the board of directors, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints assumed ownership of Utah Valley Hospital.
A Period of Growth
The hospital expanded again with the addition of the iconic X-wing building. This expansion brought the total number of beds to 240.
Utah Valley Hospital became the first fully staffed 24-hour emergency center south of Salt Lake City, and 98 physicians enjoyed medical staff privileges at the hospital.
Joining Intermountain Healthcare
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints divested its interest in hospitals to the communities the hospitals served. Intermountain Healthcare was established to operate the hospitals on behalf of the community.
Construction begins on the seven-story East Tower.
The East Tower is completed, bringing the hospital to 389 beds, 73 nursery bassinets, and a medical staff of 200.
Becoming a Medical Center
The name of the hospital is officially changed to Utah Valley Medical Center. The name change reflects the growth of the facility and services, making it one of Utah's largest major referral centers, serving all of central and southern Utah and its surrounding areas.
The West Building is added to the campus, expanding Women’s and Children’s Services and Same-Day Surgery.
The South Building opens, providing room for clinics, behavioral health services, and administrative offices.
A hyperbaric medicine chamber is added to the South Building.
A major hospital replacement project is announced to eventually replace the East Tower and provide the latest technology and medical services to the community.
Ground is broken, and construction begins, on the hospital replacement project. This project will include a 12-story patient tower on the southwest corner of campus, and a nine-story medical office building on the east side of campus.
As Utah Valley Regional Medical Center grows, it continues its evolution as a place of learning, a place of caring, and a place of healing.