Sandy, UT (3/4/2011) - Alta View Hospital will host a free community health fair on Saturday, March 26, from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. at the hospital, which is located at 9660 South 1300 East in Sandy.
Everyone — including adults, teenagers, and children — is invited to come learn more about being healthy, get free health screenings, have fun together, and see the services offered at Alta View Hospital.
A summary of what you can do at the health fair:
- Get free health screenings including free blood pressure checks and cholesterol and diabetes screenings. (For accurate results, please come fasting for the cholesterol and diabetes screening tests.)
- Give blood. The American Red Cross Bloodmobile will be located in the parking lot, just west of the main entrance.
- Learn more about many health services offered at Alta View. Information will be available about breast care, diabetes, heart care, senior care, and more.
- Sign up for the Healthy Sandy Partnership’s Slim Down/Shape Up 2011 program. The program encourages families to exercise, lose weight, and maintain a healthier lifestyle.
- Get an interactive look at surgery. You’ll be able to get a close-up look at how surgical procedures are done, including total joint surgery, bone surgery, lap banding, and more. Alta View’s surgical staff will demonstrate how they use some of their tools and equipment during a surgical procedure and even let you try some of it out for yourself. Kids will be able to dress up in scrubs and perform a mock appendectomy, work under a surgical microscope, and even learn how to stitch.
- The Emergency Department will host a teddy bear clinic. Kids can bring their hurt or sick stuffed animal and learn how to bandage them up and help them feel better.
- Get information about medications. A pharmacist will be on hand to help answer questions about medications you’re taking or considering.
- Check out a Life Flight helicopter, a fire truck, and more. One of Intermountain Healthcare’s Life Flight medical transport helicopters will be on hand at the fair between 11 a.m. and 1 p.m. Also, representatives from Sandy City’s police and fire departments will provide safety information and a number of police and fire vehicles will be on display in the parking lot.
- Take part in interactive games and displays including a fun handwashing station that helps you see how many germs survive after you wash your hands.
- Sign up for prize drawings for free bone density scans, mammograms, CT calcium scoring exams, and gift baskets.
“We’re excited for this year’s health fair. It’s a great chance to get free and reduced price screenings and see what we do at Alta View,” says Becky Kapp, the hospital’s administrator. “We offer many services that help keep people healthy and safe. This is a great opportunity for families to come and see what we do and see how we benefit everyone who lives in the southern part of the Salt Lake valley.”
For more information about the health fair, please call 801-501-2795.