Statement on Today’s Auto Accident Involving Life Flight Crew Members

The other occupant of the vehicle, a Life Flight nurse, was seriously injured and was transported to Intermountain Medical Center in Murray in serious condition. 

“This is a tragedy to lose a member of the Intermountain Healthcare and Life Flight family. Our hearts and prayers go out to their families, friends and colleagues for this devastating loss,” said Joe Mott, administrator of Intermountain Medical Center in Murray, one of the Life Flight bases.

The two were returning to Salt Lake City from Uintah Basin Medical Center in Roosevelt, where they had completed a shift at the Life Flight base at that hospital. They were driving a private vehicle westbound on US 40 when they were hit head-on by an oncoming truck that was in their lane, according to the Utah Highway Patrol. Details of the accident are still under investigation. 

As a show of respect for their colleagues and in accordance with safety protocols, Intermountain Life Flight’s adult teams in northern Utah have decided to stand down for 24 hours and will not be flying or transporting patients during this time. They have coordinated coverage with other EMS agencies and air transport services during this time. 

The resources of Intermountain Healthcare’s Employee Assistance Program counselors are being made available to any employee throughout the Intermountain Healthcare system, who may need assistance during this difficult time. 

Life Flight operates bases at the following hospitals: Dixie Regional Medical Center; St. George; Intermountain Medical Center, Murray; McKay-Dee Hospital, Ogden; Primary Children’s Hospital, Salt Lake City; Uintah Basin Medical Center, Roosevelt; and Utah Valley Hospital, Provo. 

Statement from Jess Gomez
Director of Media Relations
Ph: 801.718.8495

We’re saddened to report that earlier this morning, just before 10 a.m., two members of the Intermountain Life Flight team were involved in a serious automobile accident on US 40 near Strawberry Reservoir. That accident claimed the life of Tyson Mason, a 29-year-old Life Flight paramedic who was driving the vehicle.