Intermountain Medical Center was ranked the 13th most beautiful hospital campus in the nation, while Primary Children’s Hospital was ranked #19th as determined by over 100,000 votes in a national online poll conducted this year by Soliant Health, a healthcare staffing provider. The two are the only Utah hospitals to make the top 20.
A total of 50 hospitals were nominated for the poll, and the top 20 were selected based on votes from communities across the nation.
Six states — Florida, Illinois, New York, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, and Utah — had two hospitals on the list.
Soliant describes the Utah winners like this:
- INTERMOUNTAIN MEDICAL CENTER: “The flagship of Utah’s Intermountain hospital network makes its debut in our rankings this year. Tied for #1 in U.S. News and World Report’s 2015-2016 ‘Best Hospitals’ rankings, this building’s exterior features natural-looking waterfalls cascading down walls into square, modern ponds that reflect the beauty of nature, visible through floor-to-ceiling windows inside.”
- PRIMARY CHILDREN’S HOSPITAL: “Utah seems to have a large number of attractive hospitals, with many facilities from the state gracing our list over the years. Celebrating its first year in our rankings, Primary Children’s Hospital is a 289-bed facility in Salt Lake City. Originally founded in 1882, its current form is still one of the oldest buildings in our rankings, whose current structure dates back to 1952.”
The idea, according to Soliant, is that healing is beautiful — and beauty is healing.
"We were inspired to create this list by recent data that found 'happy hospitals make happy patients,'" says David Alexander, president of Soliant Health. "As a provider of healthcare professionals for hospitals, we recognize that staff morale and attention to patients' needs are critical to patients' happiness, but the survey also showed that another factor in satisfaction was how the hospital actually looked."
Leaders of both hospitals are honored to have their hospital campuses recognized.
“We’re pleased to receive this recognition,” said Joe Mott, Intermountain Medical Center’s administrator. “I believe the physical beauty of our campus — a healing environment that’s infused with nature and lots of sunlight — brings peace and beauty that supports our culture of healing that is found in every part of our medical center.”
“We appreciate the recognition for our newly renovated hospital and our recently built Eccles Outpatient Services Building. Our beautifully designed buildings are carefully nurtured and maintained by all who work and volunteer here to help us to welcome our unique patients and their families,” said Katy Welkie, Primary Children’s CEO. “But their beauty is about more than architecture. Primary Children’s is filled with a spirit of healing and hope that our caregivers bring to the space, which demonstrates our unwavering focus on The Child First and Always.”
Click http://www.soliant.com/hospitals-2017 to see photos and brief descriptions of each of this year’s 20 most beautiful hospitals, which actually include 22 hospitals as a result of two tie votes in the polling.
The hospitals are:
- Orange Regional Medical Center, Middletown, New York
- TIE: Riverview Medical Center, Red Bank, New Jersey, and Elmhurst Memorial Hospital, Elmhurst, Illinois
- Doctors Memorial Hospital, Bonifay, Florida
- Summit Pacific Medical Center, Elma, Washington
- Children’s Hospital of Pittsburgh of UPMC, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
- Eskenazi Hospital, Indianapolis, Indiana
- TIE: Kettering Medical Center, Kettering, OH, and Baylor Scott & White All Saints Medical Center’s Andrews Women’s Hospital, Fort Worth, Texas
- Mosaic Life Care, St. Joseph, Missouri
- Norton Sound Regional Hospital, Nome, Alaska
- Flagler Hospital, St. Augustine, Florida
- Marianjoy Rehabilitation Hospital, Wheaton, Illinois
- Pinnacle Health – West Shore, Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
- Intermountain Medical Center, Murray, Utah
- Firsthealth Moore Regional Hospital, Pinehurst, North Carolina
- St Jude Children’s Research Hospital, Memphis, Tennessee
- La Rabida Children’s Hospital, Chicago
- Sioux Center Health, Sioux Center, Iowa
- Broughton Hospital, Morganton, North Carolina
- Primary Children’s Hospital, Salt Lake City
- Dell-Children’s Medical Center, Austin, Texas
Intermountain Healthcare’s Intermountain Medical Center and Primary Children’s Hospital are ranked among the top 20 most beautiful hospitals in the United States, according to a new national poll.