At Primary Children's Hospital our music therapists are highly trained to harness the therapeutic qualities of music and to enable children of all ages to work toward their physiological, cognitive, emotional and social goals. Music therapy is prioritized based on doctor referral, but requests for a referral can be directed to any member of your child's care team.
Music Therapy Goals
In the pediatric medical setting, music therapy can be used by patients and their families to:
- Improve neurological development
- Improve speech and language
- Develop fine and gross motor development
- Improve coping skills
- Normalization of environment
- Eliminating or decreasing sedation for procedures
- Legacy creation/memory making
- Procedural support
- Pain management
- Increasing control over environment
- Emotional self-expression
Music Therapy Room
Please note: Sophie's Place is currently closed due to COVID-19.
Primary Children's Hospital has a dedicated music therapy space called Sophie's Place. It houses our music therapy department, and contains a large therapy room full of a variety of instruments as well as a small recording studio. This space is a sanctuary for patients and families at Primary Children's to come and experience music therapy. We also offer several volunteer run activities in the evenings.