If you have hives, you may have the following symptoms:
- In some cases difficulty breathing
In addition to asking you questions about your symptoms and lifestyle, your provider may use a variety of tools to diagnose and confirm if you have hives:
- Physical examination and history are the main way to diagnosis and treat hives.
- Skin allergy test – Possible allergen samples are applied to skin and then observed for reaction if the hives are triggered by allergens
- Blood testing may be done to rule out associated diseases.
Prescription and over-the-counter medications may also be recommended, including:
- Oral antihistamines are generally the main treatment