- Medical Director, Cardiovascular Clinical Program at Intermountain Healthcare
- Chairman, Cardiovascular Department, Intermountain Medical Center Heart Institute
- Chief of Cardiology, Intermountain Medical Center Heart Institute
- Clinical Associate Professor of Medicine, University of Utah
- Fellow, American College of Cardiology
- Fellow, American Heart Association
Research and Professional Experience
Dr. Lappe serves as Chairman of the Cardiovascular Department and Chief of Cardiology at Intermountain Medical Center Heart Institute. He oversees the cardiovascular research program, which typically publishes 50 manuscripts and 70 abstracts annually.
Dr. Lappe plays an integral role advising and managing each research study. Dr. Lappe is also Clinical Associate Professor of Medicine at the University of Utah and has published and presented in a broad range of cardiovascular topics including clinical outcomes, basic science, and quality improvement.
Current Research Projects
- Implement a heart failure identification and risk stratification tool into Intermountain’s electronic medical record system.
- For non-transferred STEMI patients, achieve a system-wide goal of 80 minutes door-to-balloon time in greater than 95% of qualified patients based on CMS criteria.
- For non-transferred STEMI patients, achieve a system-wide goal of 90 minutes door-to-balloon time in 100% of qualified patients based on CMS criteria.
- Expand the use of atrial fibrillation guidelines for primary care.
- Implement the transfer protocol for post CV procedure patients to acute care/ICU areas.
- Achieve compliance with the 2010 outpatient regulations, safety and billing requirements as mandated by CMS for cardiac and pulmonary rehabilitation programs.
- Measure and report cath lab image quality system-wide to maintain image quality at or above the established thresholds.
- Establish x-ray system alerts in all cardiovascular catheterization labs to monitor radiation exposure.
- Develop a system vascular database.