This Millcreek area park features nearly one mile of trails through a beautiful natural area that features a pond and small stream. The trail through the natural area is wide with a packed gravel surface and is suitable for bicycles and strollers. This hike is suitable for children and adults of all ages and skill levels.
Big Cottonwood East Park is located just north of Murray Holladay Road on 1590 East. To reach the park from I-215:
- Take Exit 8 for 2000 East/Highland Drive.
- Turn north onto Highland Drive and continue on to the Van Winkle Expressway for 2.2 miles.
- Turn right (north) onto 1300 East and continue 0.4 miles to Murray Holladay Road.
- Turn right (east) onto Murray Holladay Road and continue 0.4 miles to 1590 East.
- Turn left (north) onto 1590 East and continue 0.2 miles to the parking area on the right (40.66962, -111.84797).
From the parking area, there are a variety of options for a walk. The gravel pathway to the north enters the natural area and continues a short distance to a ‘T’. If you go straight, the trail ends at a field at the north end of the park. Turn right and continue walking through the natural area amongst shady trees and wetlands. The trail continues around the outer perimeter of the natural area, eventually leading back to the parking area to form a loop of about 0.6 miles if you don’t take any of the side trails.
Your visit won’t be complete though without exploring a little further. Once back at the parking area, walk toward the playground to find a nice boardwalk that runs along the west side of the pond and wetlands. Continue walking north where a paved pathway forms another smaller loop of about a quarter mile. A variety of connector trails provide several options to extend your walk as you wish.
- Dogs must be on leash.
- Clean up after pets.
- Pack out all trash.
This trail guide is provided by Backcountry Post.