Pioneer Memorial Hospital,
Dixie Medical Center in 1984
Dixie Regional Medical Center,
River Road Campus, 2003
Dixie Regional Health & Performance Center, 2009
The community rallied behind Donald A. McGregor, MD to open St. George’s first hospital. In 1917 the hospital’s name was changed from Washington County Hospital to McGregor Hospital in the doctor’s honor. It was operated in a two-story home by the McGregor family until 1952.
Washington County residents again pool resources to build and open the Dixie Pioneer Memorial Hospital on the west half of the current 400 East Campus.
Pioneer Memorial Hospital expands to accommodate regional growth and is renamed Dixie Medical Center.
Washington County selects Intermountain Healthcare to purchase and operate Dixie Medical Center. It was the first hospital purchased by Intermountain Healthcare. In 1990, the facility was renamed Dixie Regional Medical Center.
Dixie Regional Medical Center opens a second campus on River Road, greatly advancing healthcare in the tri-state region. Among the services the hospital was able add with the addition of this new facility included open heart surgery, acute rehabilitation, and newborn intensive care.
The Dixie Regional Health & Performance Center opens just east of the River Road campus. This outpatient facility is designed not for people who are sick, but for those who want to become well. It houses expanded rehabilitation services, sports medicine and acceleration training, a new spine and pain program, a sleep lab, an outpatient surgical center, and more.
The county celebrates 100 years of having a hospital. Dixie Regional Medical Center has become a regional referral center and among the top hospitals in the nation. Watch the documentary below for a more detailed history.