The Special Care Nursery (SCN) provides care to premature babies and other critically ill infants.
Special Care Nursery
Other Relevant Numbers
Fetal Medicine/Perinatal Center
Labor and Delivery
LDS Hospital's Special Care Nursery cares for babies needing specialized medical treatment.
The Special Care Nursery houses babies who need more one-on-one medical attention than babies in the well-baby nursery but who aren’t sick enough to be in the ICU.
We located on the northeast end of the 4th Floor Women’s Center.
Our newly remodeled nursery consists of:
- A 12-bed unit with beautiful and spacious private rooms for babies and families.
- Large exterior windows that give rooms natural light and beautiful views of the surrounding foothills.
- Private rooms, without charge, for mothers who are discharged before their babies are ready to go home. These are for parents who are preparing to take a baby home on monitors and oxygen. Also used for mothers trying to establish breast-feeding with their Special Care Nursery babies.
We are a team of specialized caregivers focused on individualized care of infants and their families. We have a staff of 20 Neonatal RNs, 18 Neonatal Nurse Practitioners, and 13 Pediatricians, supported by respiratory therapists and health unit coordinators (HUCs).
- Neonatal nurse practitioners are located in-house, 24/7.
- We attend all high-risk deliveries where infants might require resuscitation.
- Our nurses do the first assessment on all infants born at LDSH and help parents learn the miracle of their new baby.
- We care for premature infants born up to two months early.
- We are called to help with deliveries that might occur off the Labor and Delivery floor, such as Emergency Room, Operating Room and even in the Entrance Hall!
- We work with parents to involve them in the care of their baby.
- We provide information to parents about their infant’s health and safety.
- We offer specialized lactation support for breast-feeding mothers.
Special Care pediatricians