The Heart Center at Primary Children’s is the premier provider of cardiac care for children in the intermountain west, and treats patients referred from across the country. We provide the highest level of integrated care and treatment to patients with congenital heart disease.
Collectively, our team has more than 40 physicians and surgeons, as well as more than 100 support staff members - including medical assistants, physician assistants, nurse practitioners, cardiac sonographers, nurses, perfusionists, respiratory therapists, social workers, genetic counselors, and child life specialists.
The Heart Center at Primary Children’s is ranked 18th in the nation, according to U.S. News & World Report’s Best Children’s Hospitals.
We offer the full complement of care for some of the most complex congenital heart conditions including treatment for the following conditions:
We also provide comprehensive treatment for patients with heart failure and patients that need to undergo heart transplantation.
The Heart Center is fortunate to partner with the skilled physicians and staff of the University of Utah’s Divisions of Pediatric Cardiology, Pediatric Cardiothoracic Surgery, and Critical Care. Additionally the Heart Center partners with skilled cardiac anesthesiologists that specialize in anesthesia for cardiac patients.
- More than 600 cardiothoracic surgeries, including 300 open heart procedures.
- More than 700 cardiac catheterizations and electrophysiology procedures per year.
- More than 10,000 outpatient visits per year.
- More than 20,000 diagnostic tests per year, including electrocardiograms, echocardiograms and cardiac MRI and cardiac.
The Heart Center at Primary Children’s is proud to be one of eight core sites for the Pediatric Heart Network, demonstrating our commitment to improving treatment and research of congenital heart disease.
- Two inpatient units for both critical and intermediate care, exclusively for children with cardiac conditions.
- A comprehensive range of specialized services, including before birth services through our Fetal Heart Program and adult services offered through Primary Children’s Adult Congenital Heart Program.
- Support programs such as child life specialists, medical social work, music or art therapy, and financial counseling.