The Heart Center at Primary Children’s Hospital is a premier provider of cardiac care for children in the West, and treats patients referred from across the country. We provide the highest level of integrated care and treatment to patients with congenital heart disease.
Collectively, our team has more than 40 physicians and surgeons, as well as more than 100 support staff members - including medical assistants, physician assistants, nurse practitioners, cardiac sonographers, nurses, perfusionists, respiratory therapists, social workers, genetic counselors, and child life specialists.
We offer the full complement of care for some of the most complex congenital heart conditions including:
We also provide comprehensive treatment for patients with heart failure and patients that need heart transplantation.
Care for the Heart, From the Heart
The Heart Center partners with the skilled physicians and staff of the University of Utah’s Divisions of Pediatric Cardiology, Pediatric Cardiothoracic Surgery, and Critical Care. Additionally, the Heart Center partners with skilled cardiac anesthesiologists that specialize in anesthesia for cardiac patients.
Heart Center Highlights
- More than 500 cardiothoracic surgeries, including 300 open heart procedures.
- More than 700 cardiac catheterizations and electrophysiology procedures per year.
- More than 13,000 outpatient visits per year.
- More than 20,000 diagnostic tests per year, including electrocardiograms, echocardiograms and cardiac MRI and cardiac.
- Two inpatient units for both critical and intermediate care, exclusively for children with cardiac conditions.
- A comprehensive range of specialized services, including before birth services through our Fetal Heart Program and adult services offered through Primary Children’s Adult Congenital Heart Program.
- Support programs such as child life specialists, medical social work, music therapy, and financial counseling.