How to Admit a Patient
Direct Admission Process
- Call the Primary Children's Hospital Physician Access Line 24/7.
- Referring providers will have a discussion with the Admissions Officer and Nursing Supervisor to facilitate direct admission.
- Direct transfers of newborns from other hospitals to the Primary Children's NICU are facilitated by calling the NICU directly at (801) 662-4100.
Direct Admission Criteria
- Same day direct transfers from an outside clinic, hospital, or emergency department to a Primary Children’s inpatient bed (including pediatric intensive care unit and cardiac intensive care unit).
- Emergency Department evaluation is not required.
Direct Admission Exclusions
These patients are not considered candidates for the direct admission process:
- Scheduled admissions, such as scheduled surgical procedures, Rapid Treatment Unit, sedated procedures, and chemotherapy admissions.
- Patients requiring behavioral health intervention, whether medically cleared or not. These patients should be directed to the Primary Children's Emergency Department.
- Certain respiratory patients, such as those on high flow nasal cannula and continuous albuterol.
Admission Questions?If you have questions about a specific patient and situation, please call the Primary Children's Hospital Physician Access Line.
Medical Staff Privileges
Email us to request medical staff membership and/or privileges at Primary Children’s Hospital. Please note: the initial credentialing process usually takes 4 – 6 months, so please plan accordingly.