Share your location for a better experience

Please enter your city or town so we can help you find the right care at the right place.

Click the X to continue without setting your location

Get care nowSign in

Health news and blog

    10 Things to Know About Online Doctor Visits

    10 Things to Know About Online Doctor Visits

    So you’ve heard about this thing called telehealth, or maybe you’ve even tried Intermountain Connect Care for yourself; but what do you really know about online medical visits? 

    What is Connect Care? 

    It’s an easy, convenient way to see a provider immediately, but is it safe? When should it be used? Can you get prescriptions? Ask no more, because here are the top 10 things to know about online visits on Connect Care.

    10 Things to Know About Your Connect Care Visit

    1. It’s safe: Connect Care is a private, secure, HIPAA-compliant tool that allows you to safely and confidentially meet with a doctor. Our security and privacy program is built to the highest of standards and has passed extensive federal security audits, so you can rest assured knowing your personal medical information is in safe hands.
    2. It’s safe: Yes, that’s a repeat. Not only is it secure, the care you receive is guided by the Intermountain safety and quality standards you know and trust. We adhere to Intermountain-approved clinical guidelines to ensure each condition seen on Connect Care is treated appropriately – and our providers can access your medical history to ensure your treatment takes any allergies or current prescriptions into account. And if we don’t think you can be treated safely online, we’ll refer you to in-person care and you won’t be charged for your Connect Care visit.
    3. It’s convenient: Connect Care providers are available seven days a week, 24 hours a day to see patients online or on our app, even when you’re traveling to other states. And with an average wait time of less than three minutes, you now won’t have to wait days—or weeks—to see a doctor.
    4. It’s effective: With Connect Care, 80% of patient’s issues are resolved during a telehealth visit. The remaining 20% are patients who require further examination or additional treatment. If you’re one of those 20%, we won’t charge you for your Connect Care visit.
    5. Patients love it: Connect Care users rate their providers an average 4.85 out of 5 stars. The proof is in the pudding — our users not only value the service, but are also satisfied with their experiences.
    6. Our providers are experienced: Physicians, nurse practitioners, and physician assistants who practice on Connect Care are licensed and US board-certified. When choosing a provider on Connect Care, you’ll notice that each profile shows both their professional education and experience. Connect Care providers have many years of medical experience. Not only that, but they are specially trained to conduct telehealth visits.
    7. Telehealth can treat common conditions: Some of the most common conditions that are treated and diagnosed during an online visit include, but are not limited to: sinus infections, UTIs, pink eye, flu, allergies, and cold sores. To see if Connect Care is right for your condition, read more here.
    8. Telehealth is not for emergencies: While telehealth can treat common conditions, it should not be a substitute for in-person care when it comes to serious or life-threatening conditions, suicidality, or substance abuse. If you are experiencing severe symptoms or have a serious medical concern, it’s important to go to the emergency room or call 911.
    9. Medication can be prescribed via telehealth: Connect Care providers can prescribe medication when they deem it medically appropriate. However, there are some restrictions: they can only prescribe certain medications online and telehealth encounters are not always eligible for a prescription as some states do not allow prescribing by telehealth (yes, you can still use Connect Care when traveling outside Utah and Idaho).
    10. Connect Care providers can provide medical forms: Whether you need a sick slip, or back to work/school documents, Connect Care providers can provide this as medically appropriate.