2 Tbsp. olive oil, divided
1 pound chicken breasts, diced into 1-inch cubes
2 tsp. black pepper, divided
1 tsp. garlic powder
1 yellow onion, diced
2 tsp. minced garlic
2 cups low sodium chicken broth
1 cup frozen peas
1 cup frozen diced carrots
1 cup frozen or canned no-salt-added corn
1 tsp dried thyme
½ cup whole wheat or all-purpose flour
1½ cups low fat milk
2 reduced-fat refrigerated pie crusts
1. Soften pie crusts as directed on package.
2. Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
3. Season chicken with black pepper and powdered garlic. In a large pot over medium-high heat, sauté diced chicken in 1 Tbsp. oil until just cooked through. Remove chicken to plate.
4. Add the rest of the oil, diced onion and garlic to the pot. Sauté until translucent.
5. Add chicken broth, frozen vegetables, garlic and thyme. Bring to a boil then reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
6. Slowly sprinkle flour into the mixture, stirring constantly, so the sauce thickens. Add milk and cooked diced chicken and stir well. Simmer another 2-3 minutes and remove from heat.
7. Coat a 9-inch pie pan with cooking spray. Lay one softened pie crust across the bottom of the pan. Pour mixture into crust-lined pan. Top with second crust, seal edge and cut several slits in top with a knife.
8. Bake for 30 minutes or until crust is golden brown. During last 15 minutes of baking, edges of crust may need to be covered in foil strips to prevent excessive browning.
9. Let stand 5 minutes before serving. Enjoy!
Total calories: 440 cals
Total fat: 19 g
Saturated fat: 9 g
Protein: 19 g
Total Carbohydrate: 46 g
Dietary fiber: 4 g
Sodium: 360 mg