Note: The vegetable quantities are flexible based on size and what you have available
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 2-3 red potatoes & 2-3 Yukon Gold potatoes, washed and sliced into extra thin rounds
- 2-3 zucchini, sliced into thin rounds
- 1-2 yellow squash, sliced into thin rounds
- 3 large tomatoes, sliced into thin rounds
- 3 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 2-3 T extra virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt & freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1 cup freshly ground whole wheat breadcrumbs
- 1/3 cup crumbled Feta cheese
Equipment: 9x13x2 (or similar sized baking dish)
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees
- Spread the onion mixture over the bottom of the baking dish. Top the onion mixture with a thin layer of potatoes, top with a layer of zucchini and squash, sprinkle some of the garlic slices over the top. Add a layer of sliced tomatoes. Drizzle with 2 T olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Repeat.
- Spread the breadcrumbs and Feta cheese on the top layer of tomatoes.
- Bake 45-50 minutes or until the potatoes are tender and the breadcrumbs are golden. If the top starts to brown before the potatoes have cooked, cover gently with foil.
To make this dish quite aesthetic, use a round or oval dish and alternately layer the potatoes, squash, and tomato in spiraling circles. This will highlight the various colors.
Recipe credit: Kristi Spence