When you are in the mood for a big breakfast at McDonalds try to build your own from their healthier choices instead of choosing their Big Breakfast deal.
Instead try some of these options:
- Big Breakfast with Hotcakes (includes biscuit, sausage, hash brown, egg and pancakes): 1090 calories, 56 grams fat
- Fruit & yogurt parfait: 128 calories, 1.6 grams fat
- Fruit & Maple Oatmeal (without cream): 270 calories, 2.5 grams fat
If you are craving something sweet try to watch your portion size.
- 20 ounce chocolate shake: 627 calories, 18 grams fat
- 16 ounce chocolate shake: 478 calories, 14 grams fat
- 12 ounce chocolate shake: 358 calories, 10 grams fat
When eating at your favorite restaurants soups may be a low calorie option. Look for soups made with a broth base instead of a milk or cream base.
Olive Garden Soup:
- Minestrone: 100 calories, 1 gram fat
- Pasta e Fagioli: 130 calories, 2.5 grams fat
Try to look for their “healthy” or “light” menu options.
- Compare Olive Garden’s Tuscan Garlic Chicken: 1050 calories, 58 grams fat
- To the lunch portion of the Venetian Apricot Chicken: 290 calories, 4.5 grams fat
When picking out side dishes look for “steamed”, “grilled” or “fresh”. Take Outback Steak House for example…
- Grilled Asparagus: 52 calories, 4 grams fat
- Steamed Green Beans: 55 calories, 3 grams fat
- Fresh seasonal mixed veggies: 96 calories, 3 grams fat
- Garlic mashed potatoes- 305 calories, 17 grams fat
- Sweet potato with toppings- 465 calories, 16 grams fat
- Dressed baked potato- 330 calories, 11 grams fat