It's not a diet. It’s not a boot camp. It’s not about the perfect body. It’s not a quick fix, a six-week program, a Band-Aid, or a fad. It’s about how you LiVe Well and the process of developing life-long habits for health! Below are eight different tips, divided into three areas.
Focus divided into 3 areas for kids:
- Sleep and Support
- Always eat breakfast—and make it healthy (fruit, bagels, yogurt, cereal)
- Eat more fruits and vegetables (5-9 servings of fruits and veggies/day)
- Limit or eliminate sweetened drinks (go with water, watch the juice and sports drinks, soda for special occasions)
- Sit less and limit screen time (1-2 hours per day, no screens in bedrooms, set limits, use timers, don’t eat in front of screens, be aware of habits)
- Move more—go for 60 minutes every day, play/play/play, make it a family affair,stretch your body, and build strength!
Sleep and Support:
- Get enough sleep—know how much you need, develop a routine for bedtime, move more, cut back if over scheduled, good night to electronics, room dark, get help if you need it
- Eat meals together as a family—stop grazing, make appointment, eat in dining room/kitchen, don’t eat in the car, keep meals simple
- Be positive about food and body image—avoid good/bad labels, don’t use food as reward, stay away fad diets, grow it yourself and learn about nutrition