- How much sleep do you need? Kids need about 10 hours, teens about nine, adults need about eight
- Routine is key: stick to bedtime routines
- Move More! More activity helps you sleep better and wake refreshed
- Do homework first, don’t wait until the end of the night
- Say good night to the electronics: keep screens out of the bedroom!
- Make sure your room is dark
- Get help if you have a lot of trouble sleeping or staying asleep
- Excuses for not going to bed at night:
“I’m not tired at night”
“I have to stay up and finish my homework”
Eat Meals Together as a Family:
- Try to eat as a family 3-4 days/week
- Don’t overthink the menu: keep it simple
- Try to avoid eating in the car/limit fast food
- Have everyone help with cooking
- Stop grazing
- Studies show kids who eat with their parents stay away from cigarettes, alcohol, and drugs; do well in school, maintain a healthy weight, and are happy with their present life and prospects for future.
Be Positive about Food and Body Image:
- Don’t use food as a reward, bribe or punishment
- Stay away from fad diets/ Avoid labeling food as “good” or “bad”
- Learn about nutrition/Grow it yourself!