You have chosen your races for the year. Your training is planned to every last interval. The program is planned perfectly to have your best season yet. But wait! Have you thought about how you are going to fuel all of that training and racing? Nutrition is an important, but often overlooked aspect of sport. Whether you are a weekend warrior or a professional athlete, knowing how to fuel your body can be the difference between finishing that workout or race strong, or struggling to make it across the finish line.
Here are some tips to get the most from your motor:
- Do not wait until race day to try something new. Experiment with different foods and sport nutrition products during training.
- Eat a meal 2-4 hours before training or racing.
- Meals should include carbohydrate, protein, and healthy fats, and should be easily digested.
- Top off your fuel stores by having a snack or sport drink in the hour before intense training or racing.
- If your workout is longer than 60 minutes, keep your muscles working at their prime by taking in carbohydrate.
- Post-workout or race is the perfect time to replenish your stores by eating foods with carbohydrate and protein.
These general guidelines can help get your on your way to optimal performance. The Intermountain LiVe Well team can provide individual recommendations to help you become the best athlete you can be.