At Lutheran Medical Center, we’re happy to tell you about us: our compassionate caregivers, our clinical excellence, our award-winning care and even our beautiful campus
Learn more about our history and leadership team
Lutheran Medical Center began in 1905 as the Evangelical Lutheran Sanitarium, a tent colony for tuberculosis patients. As medical advances diminished the demand for tuberculosis treatment, community leaders decided the center should meet a new need. Community-based Lutheran Hospital, a not-for-profit, general medical facility located on a 100-acre campus, opened its doors in 1961.
During the early 1970s, Lutheran Hospital officially became Lutheran Medical Center (LMC). More than a change in name, the move signaled the organization's growth as a provider and its continued commitment to meeting the health needs of the community. LMC's physical growth continued as well. In 1973, a six-floor tower was added and with the expansion of the critical care unit in 1985, the number of licensed beds rose to 338, the current capacity level today.
In January 1998, Lutheran Medical Center joined Saint Joseph Hospital and Exempla Medical Group to form Exempla Healthcare, a not-for-profit, community-based organization, to manage operations of the hospital and medical group. In 2010, Exempla Healthcare joined with the Sisters of Charity of Leavenworth, a mission-based healthcare ministry established more than 150 years ago. It was later renamed SCL Health, as it remains today.
The leadership team at Lutheran Medical Center includes:
It’s time to think of health in a whole new way. By partnering with our patients and communities, providing expert care closer to home, and making great health more affordable, we can help more people get and stay well. Learn more about Intermountain Health.