Please read the following instructions, if you have any questions please contact our office.
Thank you for scheduling your colonoscopy with us. Intermountain Park City Hospital will contact you the afternoon before your procedure to let you know what time you will need to arrive for your procedure. Please contact our office if you have not heard from them by 3:00 pm.
Park City Hospital is located at 900 Round Valley Drive in Park City, UT. Please enter through the main doors of the hospital, and check-in at the registration desk.
3-4 DAYS PRIOR TO YOUR COLONOSCOPY
- Purchase MiraLAX powder (238-gram bottle) & bisacodyl (5 mg tablets) at any grocery or drug store. If necessary, ask your pharmacist to help you find MiraLAX or bisacodyl tablets.
- Purchase 64 oz. of a clear liquid beverage. You will be mixing the MiraLAX powder in this clear liquid. An electrolyte-containing clear beverage is recommended (i.e. Gatorade or Smart Water).
- If you take a “blood thinner” or “anti-clotting” medication such as aspirin, Coumadin, Plavix, Xarelto, Pradaxa, or Effient, then you must discuss the management of this medication with the prescribing physician (usually a cardiologist or primary care provider). These medications are typically stopped 2-5 days before your colonoscopy to reduce the risk of bleeding.
- Avoid nuts, seeds & corn for 3 days prior to your colonoscopy. Not doing so may adversely affect the quality of your exam, as nuts/seeds/corn are difficult to flush from the colon with the laxative.
THE DAY PRIOR TO YOUR COLONOSCOPY
- No solid food all day. Consume clear liquids ONLY. Clear liquids include water, soda, fruit juice without pulp, chicken or vegetable broth, Jell-O, tea/coffee (no cream) & popsicles (no chunks of fruit).
- At 12PM noon take 4 bisacodyl tablets (5 mg each). Bisacodyl may cause mild abdominal cramping.
- At 5PM mix the 238-gram bottle of MiraLAX powder with 64 oz. clear liquid.
- Drink ¾ of the MiraLAX solution (or 48 oz.) between the hours of 5PM and 8PM. If you become nauseated, then you may need to slow the pace at which you drink.
- Put the remaining 16 oz. of MiraLAX solution in the refrigerator & go to bed! You may continue to consume additional clear liquids during the evening & night.
THE DAY OF YOUR COLONOSCOPY
- No solid food until after your colonoscopy.
- 4-5 HOURS BEFORE YOUR PROCEDURE START TIME, finish drinking the remaining 16 oz. of MiraLAX solution. This may require you to get up in the middle of the night if you have an early morning exam. Splitting up the prep (¾ the night before, ¼ the morning of) is mandatory.
- You may continue to drink clear liquids up until 3 hours prior to your procedure start time, but then “nothing by mouth” after that. In other words, if your colonoscopy is scheduled at 11AM then do not consume liquids/water or take medications after 8AM. Your stomach must be completely empty at the time of your colonoscopy.
- Take your usual daily medications (with the exception of diabetes medications) on the morning of the exam, just not within the 3-hour pre-procedure “nothing by mouth” time discussed above.
- If you have diabetes…
- Oral medications (pills) for diabetes should not be taken the morning of the colonoscopy. You may resume taking them immediately after the procedure.
- If you use insulin, take ½ of your usual morning dose & bring your insulin to the procedure.
- If necessary, apply zinc oxide or petroleum jelly to anal area to prevent irritation. Baby wipes or adult diapers may also be considered.
- You must have someone available to drive you home after your colonoscopy. If you are planning to take Uber or a taxi home, then a friend or family member must accompany you. Plan on spending approximately 2.5 hours at the facility.