Car seats can be confusing and complicated for any parent. Primary Children's Hospital offers a variety of resources to help parents and families understand and ensure that their car seats are installed properly.
Free Car Seat Checks: M-F: 9:30 – 4:00 p.m. -- NEW in 2020 - Virtual Checks
Call 801-662-6583 to make an on-site or virtual appointment with our certified Child Passenger Safety Technician. They will check your car seat for proper fit and installation and can answer your questions about safe travel for children. If you choose a virtual check, you will receive an invitation and instructions on how to join the online visit prior to the appointment.
Car Seat Safety Tips
- Never place a safety seat in the front seat of a car. Regardless of the type of safety seat you use, the front seat is dangerous, especially if your vehicle has air bags.
- Snugly secure the belt holding the safety seat in the car and the harness holding the child in the safety seat.
- Make sure your car seat fits properly in your car. Check the vehicle owner’s manual and the safety seat instructions for proper placement procedures.
- Send in the safety seat registration card. Doing so will keep you informed about any updates or recalls of the product.
- Destroy a child safety seat if it has been involved in a crash, even if it still looks like it is in good condition. Damage that affects a seat’s ability to withstand another accident is not always visible.
- Avoid secondhand safety seats. Use a secondhand seat only if it has instructions, the manufacturer’s date and model number on it, and has never been in a crash.
- Never use an expired safety seat. The life of a car safety seat is about six years.