It is a team that takes care of you at any stage of serious or chronic illness. The goal of palliative care is to focus on:
- Quality of life
- Relief of symptoms related to serious illness
- Family and/or caregiver support
- A team approach to patient care
- Care aligned with a person’s goals
- A team that collaborates with your doctors
The Palliative Care team includes a palliative care physician, an advance practice nurse, social worker, a nurse and chaplain to meet your needs. The Palliative Care team does not replace your doctors but works with them to improve your quality of life.
- Symptom management
- Discussion about your life so your personal goals guide the medical care Intermountain Healthcare provides throughout your journey
- Looking at the ‘big picture’ of how your illness changes different aspects of your life
- An assessment of your symptoms including pain, shortness of breath, nausea, etc.
- If desired, help completing advanced directives
- Palliative care learns about your personal goals in life, and your priorities to guide your medical treatments
- Palliative care looks at the big picture. We care about your family, hobbies, and all the things that make you happy
- There are Palliative Care team members embedded in the hospital who will work with your doctor to make sure you feel as good as possible and your personal life is not lost during your illness. These services are available at McKay Dee Hospital, Intermountain Medical Center, Utah Valley Hospital, and Dixie Regional Medical Center.
- These clinics allow patients to come and see the Palliative Care team in a clinic setting and are located at the McKay Dee and Utah Valley Clinics.
- If you would prefer a home visit, we have a Palliative Care team that can come to your home, these services are available in Davis, Salt Lake, Utah, Washington, and Weber Counties.
If you think Palliative Care might be helpful for you, ask your doctor for a referral. Most insurance plans, including Medicare and Medicaid, cover Palliative Care services. For more information, please call (385) 887-7300. Haga clic aquí para obtener información sobre cuidados paliativos.For Palliative Care information in Spanish.