You’re at work, it’s 3:00, just a couple of hours of work left and you start to get hungry.
What do you reach for? Snacking can easily sneak in extra calories, fat and sodium with little nutrition. Here are some ideas for healthy snacks to reach for.
- Apple slices with 1 tablespoon of peanut butter
- Pre-cut raw veggies
- 3 cups light popcorn (for extra flavor try adding grated Parmesan cheese)
- Whole wheat crackers with cheese
- Mini-sandwich: Whole-grain dinner roll with 1 slice turkey, 1 slice low-fat cheese and mustard
- Easy trail mix: ready-to-eat cereal, dried fruit and nuts
- Breakfast cereal
- Instant oatmeal
- Low fat yogurt with fruit
- Cottage cheese with fruit
- Low fat milk
Snacking can be a healthy way to provide you with needed energy throughout the day. However, to prevent snacking from causing weight gain, or excess intake here are some recommendations.
- Only snack when you are hungry. Avoid the urge to munch when feeling frustrated, tired, stressed or upset.
- Watch portion sizes. When snacking, especially while at work or when you are engaged in another activity, it is easy to overeat. Determining the correct portion size before you begin eating can help prevent eating extra portions.
- Plan snacks ahead of time. This will help you prepare for healthy snacks instead of relying on vending machines for their options.