Treating Burn Injuries from Fireworks


What's the first thing I should do if I get a burn?

The most important thing to do first is make sure the burn is clean and dry. In all cases you should be able to use a mild soap and lukewarm water to clean and sanitize the wound.

Are topical ointments recommended?

Using Neosporin or other topical ointment isn’t necessarily required in all situations. Sometimes, using it excessively can keep the wound moist and can delay the healing process to some degree. If you initially cleaned the wound and can keep it clean and dry, you may not need an antibiotic ointment at all.

How can I manage the pain if I’ve been burned?

Most individuals with burns can take an ibuprofen or Tylenol at the recommended over-the-counter dosage to mange pain. There are also some topical pain relievers that can be used, such as burn free wipes; which have a light dose of numbing medication in them. Always be sure to follow the guidelines provided on the packaging of the pain-relieving medications.

When should I seek the help of a physician or healthcare provider for my burn?

As a general rule, if the size of the wound is bigger than the palm of your hand it may need a second opinion or further evaluation. If the burn occurs around the eyes, nose, ears, toes, and fingers, regardless of size, it’s recommended that a healthcare provider evaluate you since the wound may become problematic. Lastly, if you notice symptoms of the wound becoming infected (i.e. increased pain, fevering, streaking redness, etc.) you should see a physician.

How can I reduce the scaring from my burn?

Be sure to protect the scab from being torn or peeled off. Protecting the new skin underneath the scab with sunblock can help reduce scaring.