The Individual and Family Open Enrollment period has officially begun. If you haven’t already selected a plan this year, now is the time to evaluate the best possible plan to fit your family’s needs and budget. This year’s open enrollment period runs from November 1, 2019 through December 15, 2019.
There are a lot of options out there when shopping for health insurance, and you need to make sure you find the best plan for you and your family. Here are some tips finding the right plan:
- Explore subsidy eligibility by checking to see if you qualify for a tax credit or cost-sharing reduction plan on healthcare.gov. These could help reduce your monthly premium.
- Consider where you want to receive care or where your doctor is located. This can help you determine which network is the most appropriate for your needs. You may be able to save money by choosing a smaller network.
- Shop different metal tier levels—including bronze or expanded bronze—to find less expensive plan options.
- Look into our plans that offer a Health Savings Account. These typically have lower premiums and the money you save in your HSA is pre-tax and rolls over year-after-year.
Premiums have stabilized for 2020, but those on Individual plans have several options to try and reduce their rate. They can:
- Learn more about and check eligibility for Advance Premium Tax Credits and Cost Share Reductions available through healthcare.gov.
- Seek assistance in Utah through the Association for Utah Community Health (801-974-5522) and Take Care Utah (takecareutah.org).
- Consider changing your coverage and/or provider network. There is a good selection of Bronze plans to choose from in Utah, even plans that include preventive care and wellness rewards programs.
- Consider the low premiums and potential tax savings of a Qualified High Deductible Health Plan.
Join experts from the SelectHealth Answer Team on Tuesday, December 10th as they discuss health insurance on KUTV and Intermountain Healthcare’s Ask the Expert program. Tips and suggestions will be offered throughout the day by the SelectHealth Answer Team on Channel 2 during news and other broadcasts.
If you have your own questions, our panel of experts and members of the SelectHealth Answer Team will be answering your phone calls from noon to 5:30 p.m. at 1-877-908-0680. You can also submit questions via Facebook and Twitter using #kutvasktheexpert.