Program Director's Welcome
Thank you for your interest in the Internal Medicine Residency Program at National Jewish Health |Saint Joseph Hospital, one of the best academic-community Internal Medicine training programs in the country. At our program you will receive cutting-edge education in a new state-of-the-art hospital. Our mission is to train outstanding internists and to prepare them for a career as a hospitalist, primary care physician, or future subspecialist.
Our residents encounter a very diverse patient population with rich pathology. They take care of patients from National Jewish Health, Kaiser Permanente Medical Group, and a large underserved population. We promote a very stimulating academic milieu in an extremely supportive, caring, and collegial environment. Furthermore, residents have the opportunity to routinely hone their teaching skills as all rotations have at least one medical student (usually two), typically from the University of Colorado or Rocky Vista University.
Our Internal Medicine Residency Program features:
- Clinical experience at an award-winning 400-bed community hospital and tertiary referral center is routinely named as one of America's 100 Best Hospitals.
- Hands-on training in one of Colorado's newest and most advanced facilities
- A tradition of training residents since 1892 and Internal Medicine residents since 1946
- Outstanding Faculty with diverse backgrounds and skills
- A Resident Wellness Program
- Emphasis on bedside ultrasound, procedural training, and a comprehensive simulation center
- Renowned ECG curriculum
- Excellent Fellowship Match
- Fully Integrated Electronic Medical Record (EPIC)
- A modern outpatient facility with full-time faculty and nurse practitioner support
- Opportunities for elective rotations and research with our partners at National Jewish Health and the University of Colorado
- International rotations offering residents humanitarian and educational experiences
- One of the best places to live and work in the United States being located in the heart of Denver, Colorado
Besides the many benefits that the Internal Medicine Residency Program offers, our program is also nationally recognized. Highlights include:
- Recognition for excellence by the ACGME Internal Medicine Residency Review Committee with zero citations at our most recent formal review
- National Leader in Procedural and Ultrasound Training
- Consistently one of the top Internal Medicine programs for oral and poster presentations at the American College of Physicians meetings.
I hope our website gives you a small glimpse of why our program is special. However, the best part of the program is the people and positive nurturing culture that is ever present. Residents feel well supported, cared for, listened to, and share a strong camaraderie. We are looking for applicants with positive attitudes, self-motivation, and excellent communication skills to join our outstanding team. I hope you will apply to our program in beautiful Denver. I look forward to meeting you!
Aaron J. Calderon, M.D., FACP, SFHM
Mission Statement and Program Aims
To train and educate competent and compassionate resident physicians in the core skills and knowledge of Internal Medicine so that they can improve the health and well-being of the people and communities they serve, especially those who are poor and vulnerable.
- We will work to recruit outstanding residents into our internal medicine training program while working to retain faculty and developing their skills.
- We will train residents to provide compassionate, holistic, high value care to all populations, including the poor and vulnerable.
- We will train, prepare, and provide residents with high quality mentorship to achieve their career goals whether it be in hospital medicine, ambulatory care, or other subspecialties.
- We will provide residents, faculty, and medical students with robust opportunities for scholarly and educational activities, including research and quality improvement.
- We will promote heath & wellness and provide a collegial, nurturing, and culturally sensitive environment for learning and growth.
- We will prepare all graduates to pass the ABIM certification exam on their first attempt.