Who We Are
The Saint Joseph Hospital Foundation solicits contributions for Saint Joseph Hospital to assist in effectively carrying out its mission to reveal and foster God's healing love by improving the health of the people and communities it serves, especially those who are poor and vulnerable.
The Foundation takes inspiration from the Sisters of Charity of Leavenworth, the founders and owners of Saint Joseph Hospital. Since 1873 the Sisters have been committed to providing for the health care needs of the greater Denver community through the services of Saint Joseph Hospital.
Saint Joseph Hospital, Denver's oldest private teaching hospital, was founded in 1873 by the Sisters of Charity of Leavenworth. Over the years, the Sister administrators, with the assistance and support of generous business executives, distinguished citizens of Denver, and volunteers, worked diligently to raise funds for the support and growth of the hospital.
In 1977, the hospital's board of directors established the Saint Joseph Hospital Foundation and delegated to it the responsibility for resource development. The Foundation was incorporated in the State of Colorado, and the Articles of Incorporation state its purpose. Section 1 reads, in part: To operate solely for charitable, scientific, and educational purposes within the meaning of Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue code... in that all of its activities and funds shall exclusively, directly or indirectly benefit Saint Joseph Hospital.
The mission of Saint Joseph Hospital Foundation is to solicit contributions for Saint Joseph Hospital to assist in effectively carrying out its mission to foster health and healing for the people and communities it serves.
The Saint Joseph Hospital Foundation is governed by a board of directors comprised of community leaders. The Foundation is a tax-exempt, not-for-profit organization. Contributions are tax deductible as permitted by the law.
Programs supported by the Foundation include charity care through the Caritas Community Clinic, Sr. Bruner Family Medicine Clinic and The Seton Women's Center; education programs for physicians, nurses and allied healthcare workers; community health and wellness programs; and special hospital projects.
Among the major capital projects for which the Foundation has raised funds are the following:
- Construction of the Radiology-Cardiovascular wing in 1980
- SurgiCare One, adding five additional operating rooms in 1989
- Remodel of critical care areas for Mother-Baby Unit in 1994
- Russell Pavilion Medical Education Center in 1996
- Expansion of SurgiCare One operating rooms in 1998
- Various exterior improvements, such as upgrading crosses, reflective garden and Holy Family Sculpture from 1999-2002
- Labor and Delivery expansion and renovation in 2002/2003
- Cardiovascular Lab replacement and remodeling in 2004/2005
- Relocation and expansion of the Certified Nurse Midwifery Practice 2007
- Relocation and expansion of the Cardiac and Pulmonary Health and Rehabilitation Center 2007/2008
- Construction of the New Saint Joseph Hospital 2009-2014
All activities of the Foundation are directed toward developing charitable gifts and grants for Saint Joseph Hospital. The Hospital and the Foundation enjoy wide support from the community they both serve.