Who We Are
The Mission of the St. Vincent Healthcare Foundation is to provide opportunities for our stakeholders and community to provide contributions for St. Vincent Healthcare to assist in effectively carrying out its mission to reveal and foster God's healing love by improving the health of the people and communities it serves, especially those who are poor and vulnerable. When you contribute to the St. Vincent Healthcare Foundation, your donation is invested locally in nonprofit facilities, programs and initiatives that directly impact the quality of healthcare in the communities we serve.
The Foundation takes inspiration from the Sisters of Charity of Leavenworth, the founders of St. Vincent Healthcare. The Foundation is committed to:
- Identifying opportunities to improve healthcare and communicating those opportunities to those who are able to respond.
- Sharing a special concern for those who lack healthcare and for those who are poor.
- Supporting basic healthcare programs for the well-being of community members of all ages.
- Helping build vibrant communities known for healthy living opportunities.
- Advancing and supporting medical practice, research, and outreach.
- Rewarding outstanding employees and associates by expanding their professional leadership and policy influence.
- Encouraging talented people to become healthcare professionals.
- Stimulating creativity and productivity among healthcare leaders.
- Fostering the involvement of the broad community in the ministry of Saint Vincent Healthcare.
All activities of the Foundation are directed toward developing charitable gifts and grants for St. Vincent Healthcare. Our Foundation is grateful to all of our stakeholders that have helped empower St. Vincent Healthcare to continue to deliver on our mission and values to the communities we serve.
The Sisters of Charity of Leavenworth was established by Mother Xavier Ross of Leavenworth, Kansas in 1858. The Sisters opened schools, visited prisoners, took in orphans and cared for the poor and the sick, and in 1869 extended their charitable works into Montana Territory.
By 1897 the Sisters already had hospitals in Butte and Helena. When the call came from Billings’ first mayor, Dr. Henry Chappel, and the city’s first Catholic priest, Father Van Clarenbeck, to establish a hospital in Billings, the Sisters responded. In 1898, nearly 120 years ago, St. Vincent Hospital saw its first patients.
The mission of the Sisters of Charity of Leavenworth lives on as the St. Vincent Healthcare Foundation continues to provide care to the sick and poor through the wisdom and guidance of leadership, through the dedication and love of employees, and through commitment to make the Billings community a better place to live and work.
The St. Vincent Healthcare Foundation is governed by a board of directors comprised of community leaders. The Foundation is a tax-exempt, not-for-profit organization. Contributions are tax-deductible as permitted by the law.
Programs supported by the Foundation include charity care through our SOS Employee Giving Campaign for Patient Compassion, Associate Crisis and Community and Children’s Funds; scholarships for qualified students pursuing careers in healthcare; community health and wellness programs; and special hospital projects.
The Foundation has raised funds on the following capital projects:
- Children’s Healthcare Program
- Intensive Care Unit (ICU)/ PICU Campaign
- 3Fortin Campaign
- Orthopedics Campaign
- Heart and Vascular Capital Campaign
- Spiritual Care
All activities of the Foundation are directed toward developing charitable gifts and grants for St. Vincent Healthcare. The Hospital and the Foundation enjoy wide support from the community they both serve.
St. Vincent Healthcare Foundation supports a wide variety of St. Vincent Healthcare services, community outreach programs, and community-based organizations focused on accomplishing our mission of improving the health of the people and communities we serve, especially those who are poor and vulnerable.
St. Vincent Healthcare Foundation publishes an annual report for each fiscal year, highlighting progress toward strategic objectives and accomplishments. Our 2021 Annual Report looks at how we’re working together to find new ways to deliver care to the people who need us most.
In fiscal year 2021, the St. Vincent Healthcare Foundation disbursed more than $5 million into our St. Vincent community through an assortment of services and programs including, but not limited to, the following:
- Charitable Initiatives and Education (including St. Vincent Children’s Healthcare)
- Hospital and Clinic Equipment
- Renovation / Construction
We are grateful to the wonderful supporters who make our work possible. Please find our 2022 Donor Roll here (Gifts made January 1, 2022 – December 31, 2022). We have made every effort to ensure the accuracy of donor listings. Please contact us with any questions at 406-237-3600.