A Specially Designed and Equipped Trauma Center
When you need trauma care, nothing is more important than having a place like Intermountain Medical Center's Roy W. and Elaine E. Simmons Trauma Center close by. Critically-ill and injured patients have immediate access to a specially-designed, specially-equipped trauma center, staffed by an experienced trauma team.
Why is trauma care at Intermountain Medical Center so effective?
Some of the factors that make trauma services at Intermountain Medical Center especially effective:
- The hospital's central location means care is closer, and in an emergency, time is crucial.
- The hospital serves as home base of Intermountain Life Flight air ambulance service, which flies both helicopter and fixed-wing aircraft.
- The hospital operates five 24-bed intensive care units, including the nationally-regarded Intermountain Shock/Trauma ICU, which treats many of the area's most critically ill or injured patients.
- The design of the hospital's trauma services maximizes speed of care and immediate access to the right staff and technology. Some details on the design of the trauma program:
- Patients who arrive by helicopter will land on a helipad that's directly outside the emergency department for rapid access to treatment.
- The ambulance entrance is directly across from the helipad and has space for six ambulances.
- Just inside the ED's ambulance entrance are four trauma rooms where hospital treatment will begin.
- A dedicated elevator runs directly from the trauma rooms to surgery, which means trauma patients who need immediate life-saving surgical intervention can be moved faster and more safely.
- Diagnostic services including radiological services such as CT scanning, angiography, and radiology are located near the trauma rooms, which reduces transport times.
- The hospital sponsors a highly-trained trauma team. The team includes surgeons from many specialties, advanced-practice clinicians, and specially-trained nurses, respiratory and physical therapists, social workers, and ancillary service providers.