LDS Hospital has a long tradition of quality healthcare dating back to 1905. It has since grown to a 220-bed, elite, full-service community hospital serving northern Salt Lake and southern Davis counties.
W. H. Groves donated enough money to purchase the land that LDS Hospital was built on. Together with donations from the LDS Church, the hospital was completed in 1905 and opened as the W.H. Groves LDS Hospital. It had a nursing school and was an important training ground for many physicians.
1913 and 1929
Expansion of the original hospital.
LDS Hospital established their first surgical and medical residencies in partnership with The University of Utah.
World’s first medical computer developed at LDS Hospital and the first Newborn Intensive Care Unit is created.
Utah’s first hospital volunteer auxiliary is created.
Intermountain Healthcare takes over operation of the LDS Church’s 15 hospitals and commits to operate them as a nonprofit entity, serving the community’s needs.
Life Flight Air Ambulance service created at LDS Hospital.
First bone marrow transplant performed at LDS Hospital.
First solid organ transplant performed at LDS Hospital.
A new patient tower is built on the site, replacing the original LDS Hospital from 1905.
First heart transplant performed at LDS Hospital.
First artificial heart implant performed at LDS Hospital.
LDS Hospital celebrates 100 years in the community.