Over the past ten years, more than 60 Utah children were killed and more than 500 were injured by accidental back overs. Every six days a Utah child is run over in a driveway or parking lot. Please remember to take a few simple steps before you back up.
Preventing Driving Back Overs
- Before driving, check the street, driveway and area around your vehicle.
- Drivers of SUVs and trucks should be extra careful.
- Children should be taught not to play in, under or around vehicles.
- Supervise children when a driver is leaving the home.
- Adjust the driver’s seat as high as needed to see clearly out the rear window.
- Roll down windows to hear children.
- Adjust side and rear mirrors to reduce blind spots.
Major Risk Factors
- Children under five years of age
- High profile vehicles such as SUV’s, vans and trucks
- Vehicles traveling in reverse
- Rushed and distracted driving