A hospital stay can be a stressful experience for you and your child. During this time medical social workers are available to support you and help meet the needs of your family. Social workers are located in each inpatient unit and in outpatient clinics.
Social workers are available 24 hours a day. Ask your nurse to contact the unit social worker, or call the hospital operator and ask for the social worker on call.
How Can Social Workers Help?
- Coping with medical fears, anxiety, stress, depression, and more
- Grief, loss, and end of life issues
- Family conflict
- Child behavior problems
- Catastrophic/chronic/traumatic illness and injury
- Advance directives
- Communication with the medical team
- Referrals to education and support groups