Center for Cancer & Blood Disorders

Financial Resources

Health insurance coverage, especially for a diagnosis like cancer, can be confusing. Please take the time to understand exactly what is covered under your health insurance policy. If you have questions, your employer’s human resources department may have a representative who can help you understand the details of your policy.

If you do not have health insurance, or your coverage is limited, you may be eligible for other assistance. There are counselors in the Patient Administration Department who can work with you.

For information about medical finances and phone numbers of how to contact our Financial Resource Counselor, please read Let’s Talk About Medical finances and talk to your social worker.

Medicaid/Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP) 

Medicaid is an insurance plan for people with limited income and assets. The income and asset limits change every year. If you apply, be sure to include your child’s cancer diagnosis on the application because the income limits are higher when the applicant is "disabled". Please talk to your social worker if you have questions about how to apply.

Other Sources of Financial Assistance 

Leukemia and Lymphoma Society (LLS) 

LLS is a national organization that provides limited financial aid to patients with leukemia, lymphomas, and Hodgkin’s disease. There are no other eligibility requirements. Talk to your social worker for an application. 

National Children’s Cancer Society, Inc. 

The National Children’s Cancer Society (NCCS), provides emotional support, advocacy, and limited financial help to parents of children with cancer or those in need of a bone marrow transplant. NCCS may help pay for pre-BMT related expenses, household expenses, travel, and meals. There are qualifications you must meet. Ask your social worker for an application. 

Supplemental Security Income (SSI) 

Many cancer patients are eligible for SSI disability benefits through the Social Security Administration. This program pays a monthly income to children with limited income and resources and who are blind or have a severe disability or long-lasting illness. You may call the toll-free number to ask for a phone appointment or go to your local social security office to complete an application. Be aware that the application process is quite extensive and it may take four months or longer from the date of application to receive any payment.

Salt Lake City Office

46 West 300 South, Suite 100
Salt Lake City, UT
Toll-free phone: (800) 772-1213
Fax: (801) 524-6234

Other Programs

There are other organizations that offer limited financial help. Their requirements are often very specific. Please talk with your social worker to see if your family qualifies for help from these programs.