Sleep Medicine Clinic
The Sleep Disorders Center at Primary Children’s includes a multidisciplinary team trained in the identification, diagnosis and treatment of sleep disorders in infants, children and teens.
In order to provide the most comprehensive evaluation of your child’s sleep disturbance, we require a referral from your pediatrician and an initial online or telephone intake. This enables us to understand your chief concern and have you consult with the team members that have the best skills to assist you.
Sleep Disorder Evaluation
The visit will include a detailed interview by a sleep specialist understanding your child’s symptoms, daily routines and sleep schedule. We will also require information regarding any other health conditions your child has as well as medications he/she is on (please bring a list of all medications, dosage and timing of administration).
- It is not unusual for multiple factors playing a role in an individual child’s sleep disturbance.
- Your child may or may not be recommended an overnight sleep study depending on his/her sleep complaint. A sleep study may not be possible on the same night as your clinic visit.
- You may also be referred to our behavioral sleep specialist who plays a key role in the evaluation and management of childhood sleep disorders.
- If your child does not have a sleep disorder, we will refer you back to your primary care physician for further treatment.
- If your child is already on a sleep apnea machine, we require you to bring all of your home equipment to each sleep clinic visit for analysis.
- You may also meet with a child life therapist, nurse or respiratory therapist to review appropriate use and correct maintenance of sleep apnea therapy.
How Long Will the Evaluation Take?
The clinic evaluation usually is at least an hour long.
- You may encounter physicians in training (fellows are physicians who are training to become sleep specialists) who may perform the initial interview. You will also be seen by the sleep specialist.
- Behavioral therapist evaluations are usually a separate visit. However, we may schedule you to see both the sleep medicine specialist and behavioral sleep specialist on the same day, depending on the information we receive at the time of initial intake.
- It may take up to 2 hours to complete the visit, so please plan your day accordingly.