Professional Titles and Awards
- Distinguished Research Physician
- Professor of Medicine with Tenure, University of Utah School of Medicine
Research and Professional Experience
Dr. Anderson served as the Immediate Past Director of Cardiovascular Research and the Immediate Past Associate Chief of Cardiology. He has participated as a member of the FDA cardiovascular advisory board and was the director of the guidelines committee for the AHA/ACCF.
Dr. Anderson is an international leader in the cardiovascular community and has been an innovator in many important areas. For instance, he was the principle investigator of the first randomized clinical trial of thrombolysis for acute myocardial infarction. He was also the principle investigator on the first randomized trial of beta blockers for the treatment of heart failure.
Dr. Anderson has published over 300 peer-reviewed journal articles during his career. Most importantly, he has lead the development and expansion of the Intermountain Heart Institute’s academic program since its inception.
Current Research Interests
- Coronary artery disease, including risk factors, prevention and treatment
- Cardiac arrhythmias
- Cardiomyopathies and heart failure
- Advanced cardiac imaging
- Genetics and metabolomics of heart disease
- Clinical trials to discover new therapies