Pat Richards, President and CEO of SelectHealth for the past 10 years, is planning to retire in August 2020.
Richards has been involved in healthcare, and/or health insurance for almost 50 years, starting in nursing school at St. Joseph’s Hospital Nursing School in Marshfield, Wisconsin in 1971. She later earned her bachelor’s degree and completed MPA coursework at the University of Toledo and was awarded an Honorary Doctor of Humane Letters from Salt Lake Community College in 2019.
Before she came to Intermountain, Richards held executive leadership positions at Health Alliance Plan of Michigan, the provider-sponsored health plan of the Henry Ford Health System, Anthem Health Plans of Maine, Paramount Health Care, and Blue Cross Blue Shield of Ohio.
Richards’ contribution to SelectHealth, Intermountain, and the communities Intermountain serves will have lasting impact for generations. Under her leadership SelectHealth has:
- Grown to serve over 900,000 members, based in Utah, Idaho, and Nevada
- Expanded coverage for beneficiaries of Medicare Advantage and Medicaid
- Increased access to insurance for individuals, families, and small employers through active participation in the health insurance marketplace
- Been ranked “highest in member satisfaction in the mountain region” nine times by J.D. Power and Associates
- Been named Utah’s “Best Companies to Work for” 11 times by Utah Business magazine
- Been recognized with the “Top Workplaces” award from Energage and Salt Lake Tribune
Richards was named a “Women of the Year” in 2018 for her impact on the healthcare industry, and “CEO of the Year” in 2013 by Utah Business magazine for her leadership and vision.
Richards and her high-performing leadership team have put SelectHealth in a strong position that is poised for continued growth, and have cultivated a culture of engaged caregivers.
“SelectHealth is the strongest it’s ever been thanks to her leadership. She will be a tough act to follow,” said Marc Harrison, MD, president and CEO of Intermountain.
A national search firm has been selected and an internal and external search for her replacement will begin immediately.