Pan Seared Striped Bass (serves 4)
4 (6 ounce) Striped Bass portions
1 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon pepper
1 tablespoon canola oil
1. Season the fish evenly with the salt and pepper.
2. Heat a sauté pan over medium high heat. Place the fish skin side down in the pan and press with a spatula. Cook the fish ¾ of the way through on the skin side. Flip the fish and cook to an internal temp of 140F, roughly 3 to 4 minutes per side.
3. Remove the fish from the heat and plate with the crispy skin facing up.
4 TBSP white miso paste (available at most grocery stores near the fresh herbs)
2 teaspoons ginger puree
1 teaspoon rice vinegar
3 ½ teaspoons brown sugar
2 ¼ tablespoons soy sauce
¼ cup water
In a saucepan, add all of the ingredients together and bring to a simmer. Let reduce if needed.
Asparagus and Shitake Mushrooms
½ pound asparagus
2 cups sliced Shitake mushrooms
1 teaspoon ginger puree
3 ½ tablespooons rice vinegar
½ tablespoon sesame oil
1 ½ tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons sliced shallot
1. Start by heating the oil in a sauté pan on medium heat. Toss in the shallots and the mushrooms. Let sauté for around 2 minutes tossing occasionally.
2. Cut the ends of the asparagus off. Slice the asparagus on a bias into 1-inch pieces.
3. Toss the asparagus in with the mushrooms and shallots. Sauté for another 2 minutes.
4. Add in the soy sauce, ginger and rice vinegar and let cook until reduced tossing the vegetables occasionally.
5. Remove from the heat and serve.