Intermountain Healthcare is a licensed provider of Bridging the Gap: Medical Interpreter Training, a course designed by the Cross Cultural Health Care Program in Seattle, WA. This 64-hour training prepares individuals to interpret in the health care setting, and meets educational prerequisites for the National Medical and Healthcare Interpreter certifications (both through the NBCMI and the CCHI).
This course is taught by experienced Certified Medical Interpreters. Participants will learn practical applications in a dynamic learning environment, and will be able to practice the skills learned through roleplay and group activities. Among the topics covered in this course are:
- Roles of the Medical Interpreter
- Diverse Modes of Interpretation
- Interpreting Skills Development
- Medical Interpreter Code of Ethics and Standards of Practice
- Cultural Mediation and Advocacy
- The US Healthcare System and the Culture of Biomedicine
- Interpreting in Mental Health Settings
- Basic Anatomy and Medical Terminology
- Professional Conduct and Self-Care
- Video and Telephonic Interpretation
- Resources for Professional Growth
- State and National Certification Requirements for Medical Interpreters
- Participants must be 18 years or older and have a High School diploma or equivalent.
- Demonstrate bilingual language fluency (due 2 weeks before the first day of class). Provide one of the following:
- Present proof of State or Federal court interpreter certification, or
- Education: HS diploma from a school where classes were taught in your second language, a college degree (mayor or minor) in the second language, or a degree from an institution where instruction was done in your second language, or
- For Intermountain Healthcare employees: present certificate of completion of the “Qualified Bilingual Staff” course, or
- Pass a bilingual language proficiency assessment (not included in the registration fee for the course). Participants need to schedule their assessment at least 4 weeks before the 1st day of class to get their results in time. We accept any of the following standardized assessments:
- Commgap Language Services – Language Fluency Assessment. A score of 18 our 25 is required for admission. Contact Commgap (DBA Global 1 Voice) at 801-944-4049
- ACTFL - Proctored by Languagetesting.com - A score of “Mid-level” or higher is required for admission.
- LanguageLine Academy - Interpreter Readiness Assessment (eIRA) or Bilingual Fluency Assessment (eBFA). A score of “Competent” or higher is required for admission.
Registration is due 15 business days prior to the first day of class to ensure books and other materials are made available in a timely manner. You have 3 days after the registration payment is submitted to cancel and qualify for a full refund. Cancellations made after the 3-day grace period, up until the day before class starts, will result in a $50 cancellation fee. No refunds will be awarded after the first day of class. Students need to attend the entire 64 hrs of instruction in order to get credit for the course.
- Spring session early-bird $50 discount available for those who enroll by January 8th
- Summer session early-bird $50 discount available for those who enroll by June 1st
- Fall session early-bird $50 discount available for those who enroll by August 17th
Enter the early-bird discount code at the checkout screen: BTGEARLY