Welcome to the Intermountain Medical Center Postgraduate Fellowship for Advanced Practice Providers (APPs) in Trauma and Critical Care. The purpose of the Fellowship is to provide specialty training for post-graduate physician assistants (PAs) and nurse practitioners (NPs), also known as Advanced Practice Providers (APPs). The collaboration of PA and NP roles is a unique attribute of the Intermountain Medical Center Trauma Service model.
The Fellowship provides a year-long training program with aggressive and ample access to patients of severe acuities and training in a Gold Standard Practice and Zero Harm environment. The Fellow operates with very high levels of autonomy, placed in the forefront of direct resuscitation and management of all trauma patients. Our team teaches efficiency, compassion and precision, and operates in a collegial atmosphere that cultivates learning and rewards initiative.
While training is focused on Trauma & Critical Care, the program also offers rotations in Pulmonary Critical Care, Neurosurgery and Neurocritical Care, Orthopedic Surgery, Anesthesia, Ultrasound and Radiology, and Pharmacology. The Fellow will also complete a clinical research project, which offers a unique opportunity to join a select but growing group of APPs who are performing research in trauma, presenting at national conferences and publishing manuscripts.
- Provide the highest quality education in order to train exceedingly competent APPs in the specialty of Trauma & Critical Care.
- Learn current guidelines and best practices of trauma and critically ill patients
- Obtain procedural skills in Trauma & Critical Care
- Master critical care concepts such as ventilator management, infectious disease, pharmacology and management of the unstable patient
- Master the role of leading a trauma resuscitation and massive transfusion protocol
- Utilize Intermountain Healthcare's strengths and outstanding reputation of promoting best practices as groundwork for education of the APPs.
- Develop leaders who will promote the role of APPs in Trauma & Critical Care
- Assist the APP Fellow in gaining a comprehensive understanding and first-hand experience in conducting clinical research.
- Continue to work with PA and NP associations to support the current local and national guidelines for each role, which will reinforce autonomy and collaboration of both professions.
Our mission is to develop high quality advanced practice providers who will excel in Trauma and Critical Care, through practical and rigorous clinical experience, didactic learning and mentorship from dedicated leaders. We strive to cultivate influential clinicians and leaders who will promote and progress the understandings and expectations of these providers. Over 12 intensive months, the Fellow will achieve excellence in clinical competence, invasive and non-invasive bedside procedures, harm prevention, leadership, and research methods in Trauma and Critical Care.