The Buffalo Point trail is a great introductory hike at beautiful Antelope Island State Park. Wildlife sightings and panoramic views of the Great Salt Lake are the highlights of this short hike. There are a few steep, rocky sections along the way, but at just under 1.0 mile round trip, this hike is suitable for everyone in the family.
The Buffalo Point Trailhead is located on the northwest side of Antelope Island State Park.
From I-15 in Layton, UT
- Take Exit 332 for UT-108/Antelope Drive.
- Turn west onto Antelope Drive and continue for 6.8 miles to the Antelope Island fee station. There is a $10 per-vehicle fee to enter the park.
- Continue past the fee station onto the causeway to Antelope Island. The distance between the fee booth and the north shore of the island is approximately 6.9 miles.
- Once onto Antelope Island, follow the main Antelope Island Road for 2.5 miles until it ends at the Buffalo Point Trailhead (41.032751, -112.256168).
Restroom and picnic facilities are available at the trailhead.
Begin hiking on the signed Buffalo Point Trail at the west side of the parking area. After the initial climb from the parking lot, the trail crests onto a ridge where several benches are available. Wildlife is abundant on Antelope Island and along the Buffalo Point Trail. Sightings of antelope, jackrabbits and buffalo are common. Keep a safe distance from any wildlife along the way, especially buffalo which can be unpredictable and charge if they feel threatened.
Continue on the main trail as it begins to climb the south side of the ridge ahead. This is the steepest part of the hike. Keep an eye on children along this section, as the edge is very abrupt.
Once onto the ridge, follow the trail to the high point known as Buffalo Point (41.033208, -112.263880). There are plenty of rock outcroppings and social trails to explore and take in the expansive 360-degree views of the Antelope Island, the Great Salt Lake, and the surrounding mountains.
Return the way you came. Round trip hiking distance is approximately 1.0 mile.
Rules & Regulations
- There is a $10 per-vehicle fee to enter Antelope Island State Park.
- Dogs allowed on leash.
- Clean up after pets.
- No littering.
Bugs can be a significant problem on Antelope Island at certain times of the year, particularly mid spring into summer. Bug protection, including long sleeves, pants, and a protective head net may be needed at times.