Utahns are invited to get heart-healthy at the 2017 free Community Heart Fair on Saturday, Feb. 4, from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m., at the Intermountain Medical Center Heart Institute in Murray. The community heart fair is the largest heart fair in the Intermountain West.
Saturday, February 4, 2017 from 9 am to 1 pm
Intermountain Medical Center
5121 S. Cottonwood Street
Murray, Utah 84107
Enter on the west side of the hospital through Building 5.
Why is getting heart healthy important?
- Heart disease (which includes heart disease, stroke and other cardiovascular diseases) is the No. 1 cause of death in the United States, killing nearly 800,000 people each year.
- Heart disease is the leading cause of death for people of most racial/ethnic groups in the United States, including African Americans, Hispanics and Whites. For Asian Americans or Pacific Islanders and American Indians or Alaska Natives, heart disease is second only to cancer.
- Cardiovascular diseases claim more lives than all forms of cancer combined.
- Coronary heart disease is the most common type of heart disease, killing nearly 380,000 people annually.
- In the United States, someone has a heart attack every 34 seconds. Every 60 seconds, somoene in the United States dies from a heart disease-related event.
Free Screenings and Resources
Go through our heart risk assessment to find out if you are at risk for heart disease. Depending on you score, you may be eligible for further testing at the heart fair.
Fun for Kids
Bring your kids along for their own heart health assessment, as well a fun kids zone with activities and games. Kids can also tour Murray City's fire truck and ambulance, and our own Life Flight helicopter.
Free Family Snapshot
Bring the whole family and grab a free family snapshot at our photo booth.
Heart-healthy Cooking Classes
Learn how to cook healthy meals through demonstrations and classes that will be taught throughout the event.
Seminars by our cardiovascular experts will be offered, including activities and an opportunity to participate in important medical research.
What can you do to lower your risk from heart disease? Come learn about the importance of taking an accurate blood pressure at home, the signs of a heart attack, how to make sense of your family history, and more.
Women and Heart Disease
Go red for women! Heart disease is the number one killer in women in the United States. Come learn the facts and take home great giveaways.
Online Scavenger Hunt
Hiking is a great way to stay heart healthy. Here's your chance to win a FREE annual National Parks pass so you and your family can gain free access to some of the most scenic landscapes in America! We'll announce two winners of the National Parks pass during our 2017 Free Community Heart Fair on February 4 at Intermountain Medical Center. Here's how to enter:
- Visit IntermountainHeartInstitute.org
- Search through the pages to find the five icons as shown below
- Copy the URL of the page where you find each icon
- Email all five URLs to: email@example.com
If you can't find all five, just email the links to the ones you can find, as each correct URL is worth one entry (maximum of five entries). The winners will be announced on February 4 during our heart fair and will be notified by email on how to claim their FREE annual National Parks pass. Good luck...and happy searching.