- Director, Intermountain Heart Institute Heart Rhythm Specialists
- Past President, Heart Rhythm Society, 2015 - 2016
- Utah Governor Elect, American College of Cardiology
Research and Professional Experience
Dr. Day is a researcher and pioneer in the field of heart rhythm treatments, also called electrophysiology. He is the author of more than 100 articles published in scientific and medical journals. Dr. Day also holds a patent on technology that allows physicians to map the source of atrial fibrillation in three-dimensions.
Dr. Day was the senior investigator on three landmark studies:
- In 2009, Dr. Day and his colleagues made a breakthrough connection between atrial fibrillation and Alzheimer’s.
- In 2010, his research demonstrated how a surgical procedure known as catheter ablation can reverse the risk of developing Alzheimer’s.
- In 2011, a study showed how toxic levels of Vitamin D can cause atrial fibrillation.
Since 2004, Dr. John Day has appeared as a health expert on major television networks. He currently has a weekly television segment on the CBS affiliate in Utah. Over 100,000 people now follow him through his newsletter, blog, social media, or weekly television segment.
Current Research Projects
- Using novel technology to map the source of atrial fibrillation in order to improve the treatment success rate
- Understanding the role of exercise in suppressing atrial fibrillation
- Improving cognitive function and dementia prevention in atrial fibrillation