- Labor Support Items
- Soothing Music
- Hand Fan
- Pillows - The hospital has pillows, but some patients prefer to bring their own.
- Lip Balm
- Lotion/Massage Oil
- Hand-held Massager
- Mother - slippers/socks, bathrobe, going home outfit, bra, underclothing
- Baby - going home outfit and/or undershirt, socks, blanket
- Camera, Camcorder (battery operated) - Photography and videotaping is permitted during the birth, but the care and safety of our mothers and babies come first. All equipment must be battery-operated, because electrical cords can be a safety hazard in the Labor & Delivery area.
- Treats such as hard candy, lollipops, etc.
- Baby Car Seat - Place your newborn’s car seat into the car so you are ready to bring the baby home.
Upon arrival to the hospital, you will be admitted into the Labor & Delivery unit and placed into a room. You will be placed on a monitor to assess your baby’s heart rate and your contraction pattern. A nurse will ask a series of questions related to your pregnancy and medical history. The nurse will perform a physical examination, check your blood pressure, pulse, respirations and collect samples.
Your nurse will call your doctor or certified nurse midwife (CNM) to let them know you have arrived and to discuss the plan for your care.