At Intermountain Healthcare, we want to help you live the healthiest life possible. Your sexual orientation and gender identity are an important part of your overall health picture.
We recognize that the LGBTQ+ community faces some health issues at a higher rate, and may be less likely to access or receive health care services, including preventative care (such as cancer screenings, including mammograms and pap smears). That's why we've partnered with the Utah Pride Center to help support access to safe healthcare resources for LGBTQ+ individuals.
Some in the LGBTQ+ community are particularly vulnerable, facing challenges such as:
- Higher rates of violence victimization
- LGBTQ+ youth are 2x more likely to experience sexual abuse before age 12
- 58.7% of homeless youth have been sexually victimized
- 1 in 5 hate crimes target LGBTQ+ individuals
- Higher rates of unhealthy body image and eating disorders
- Higher rates of tobacco and substance abuse
Additionally, decreased access to healthcare services and preventative care in this community have been shown to lead to:
- Higher risk for mental health illnesses, such as anxiety and depression, and higher rates of suicidal ideation and suicide attempts.
- Higher rates of STDs
- Increased incidences and later identification of some cancers
We're proud to sponsor the Utah Pride Festival and support the LGBTQ+ community.
If you are in crisis, resources are available 24/7: