Student Observations

Q: I am a student who needs observation hours for school credit and/or school application. How can I get into the hospital/clinic to get that done?

A: If you go to you can select the hospital and provider type that you are hoping to connect with. Please contact a provider and then “contact us” with your observation request.

They must find their own person on their own or the school coordinator goes through those steps to find the placement. Once placement is found they contact us and we confirm the placement.

Q: I would like to do an internship at Intermountain Healthcare.

A: There are paid internships in a limited area and are available on the job search website for Intermountain Healthcare. You can also set up an unpaid internship in your area of schooling. This type would need to be approved through your school where you are a current student and be a graduation requirement and get course credit for the hours of experience. If you are not enrolled in school, you would not be eligible for this type of internship.

Q: I am studying business administration/communication/hospital administration/ etc. and I’m interested in doing an internship with Intermountain. Do you know what department or who would be a good contact?

A: A few Intermountain hospitals have unpaid Administration Internships every semester. You can apply for business administration internships through a program called Handshake.

Q: I am in high school and would like to observe in a hospital or clinic for a class assignment.

A: We don’t allow high school students to come in the acute care setting for observation experiences. We do provide other programs for you to get exposure to healthcare careers. Please contact Eilsabeth Orozco at if you are a high school student for other possible opportunities.

Q: Do I have to complete immunizations?

A: Yes, every student experience requires immunization to be complete. The requirements are listed here:

Two-step tuberculin skin test (PPD tests) or a one-time blood test (QuantiFERON Gold or T-SPOT).

If positive test result, documentation of normal CXR provided by physician or health department.

  • Measles, Mumps and Rubella (MMR). Two vaccinations given at recommended intervals or laboratory evidence. 
  • T-dap immunization.
  • Varicella (Chicken Pox). Two vaccinations given at recommended intervals or laboratory evidence. 
  • Hepatitis B series (three vaccinations) and reactive titer or laboratory evidence. A Hep. B series should be offered if the student assignment may involve exposure, or potential exposure, to blood, body fluid or tissue specimens.
  • Annual / current flu immunization.
  • Date of vaccination (month/year): ________/___________

Q: Do I have to complete a background check and drug screen?

A: If you are completing a hands-on clinical experience within Intermountain Healthcare, you will need to complete a background check and drug screen. If your experience is observation only you, will not need to complete a background check and drug screen.

Q: Where do I get the drug screen and background check done?

A: Your school is required to track drug screens and background checks. They will direct you on how and where to get these done. Results must be sent to your school. The drug test must be an SMA-5 test and the background check must go back at least 7 years.

Clinical Hands-on Experience/Rotations

Q: Where do I get the required paperwork needed to do my clinical experience?

A: Please contact the student coordinator for the hospital you will be attending, and we can provide that link to you. Email

Q: I want to do a hands-on internship/rotation at Intermountain healthcare. When should I start setting this up and applying for the experience?

A: Please reach out to your Student Coordinator about six weeks before your intended start date.

Q: What is the best way to contact the student coordinators about questions I have?

A: Email them directly or use this website to contact them.

Q: I am applying for medical school and want to get physician shadowing hours for my application. Can I get all those hours at Intermountain Healthcare?

A: Depending on availability of advanced practice caregivers, you can apply to get observation hours prior to your application to a professional program. The Student Coordinator will be able to assist you in determining your eligibility for shadowing with Intermountain based on your potential program requirements. Shadowing hours are not guaranteed and are subject to availability and approval.

Q: I need to do research, how can I do that within Intermountain Healthcare?

A: Talk to the student coordinator at the facility you will be working with and they can give you guidance. You will need to complete required forms and be approved for the research project you are completing.

Q: I attend a school that is not local, and I think I need to create a contract prior to starting my rotation. How do I do that?

A: Contact the Student Coordinator assigned to the facility you will be rotating to and they will help you initiate the affiliation agreement. This process can take 6-12 weeks to complete, so please start early. Our Student Coordinators will work directly with your school to create this contract.

Q: I would like to observe a caregiver to see if it is a field I would like to pursue. How can I do that?

A: We don’t provide observation experiences for career exploration. Intermountain policy states any student experience must be course required or application required. Not all programs require shadowing hours to apply.

Q: I want to bring my child/neighbor/niece/nephew to work so they can observe what I do. It is for a school assignment.

A: Any student experience must be an academic requirement or an application requirement. If this is the case, please contact the Student Coordinators so we can determine if this request fits within our observation policy.

Q: My daughter/son is in Middle School and has a class requirement to follow a parent at work for a day. How old do they need to be to observe?

A: Students must be enrolled in high school or an accredited college or university, or other training class requiring observational experience to complete a course of study or as a program pre-requisite. Students must be at least 16 years of age.

Q: Where do I get my badge?

A: Badges are issued by the facility where your education will take place.

Logan Regional Hospital
Human Resources
500 East 1400 North
Logan, UT 84341
Please email to set up an appointment to receive your badge.
Badges are issued M-F 12:30-5:00pm.

Bear River Hospital
905 N 1000 W
Tremonton, UT 84337
Please email to set up an appointment to receive your badge, she is typically available M-F 8-4 pm

Cassia Regional Hospital
1501 Hiland Ave.
Burley, ID 83318
Please email to schedule a time to get your badge.

McKay Dee Hospital
Security Office
4401 Harrison Blvd.
Ogden, UT 84403
Please email to schedule a time to get your badge.

Layton Hospital
201 West Layton Pkwy
Layton, UT 84041
Badging hours are M-F 9:00-11:00 am.

Intermountain Healthcare Employee Services Center
5245 South College Drive (480 West)
Murray, Utah 84123
Monday-Friday from 9 a.m. to 1:45 p.m.

Primary Children’s Hospital
100 Mario Capecchi Dr
Salt Lake City, UT 84113
Safety and Security office
Monday-Friday from 8:00 AM -4:00 PM.

Utah Valley Hospital
1034 N 500 W
Provo, UT 84604
Mondays 11-12pm, 3-4pm, 5-6pm
Tuesdays 10-11am, 3-4pm, 5-6pm
Wednesdays 10-11am, 3-4pm, 5-6pm
Thursdays 10-11am, 3-4pm, 5-6pm
Fridays 10-11, 3-4pm

American Fork Hospital Administration
Please contact the AFH Administration office at 801-855-3510 and schedule a time to go in and get the badge at the American Fork Hospital administration office.

Dixie Regional Medical Center
1380 East Medical Center Drive
St. George, UT 8479
Badging office (on the Lower Level - around the corner from HR)
Monday: 1:00 PM-2:00 PM
Tuesday -Thursday: 8:45 AM-10:30 AM & 1:00 PM – 4:00 PM
Friday: 8:45 AM – 12:00 PM

Cedar City Hospital
1303 North Main Street
Cedar City, UT 84721
Administration Department (across from HR)
Monday through Friday 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

Garfield Memorial Hospital
200 North 400 East
Panguitch, Utah 84759
Security Office (check in at the Registration desk and they will call security for you)
Sunday – Saturday 8:00 a.m. – midnight

Q: Can the security office use my old picture from last semester to make my badge?

A: No, they will not use your old picture, please plan on coming into the badge office to get a new picture with each new badge.

Q: Can I pick up my badge at a different hospital than the one I will be doing my rotation at?

A: If you have a conflict with a badge location, please communicate to the student coordinators you are working with to request an exception so you can pick it up at a more convenient location.