We care for more than 1,000 babies and their families each year. The NICU offers the latest in technology and the best possible clinical care, housed in a setting that enhances healing for babies and everyone who loves them.
Other features available in the NICU:
- Each room in the new NICU has a suspended double-armed boom that puts necessary equipment like monitors, computer, pumps, and ventilators close by when they're needed and out of the way when they're not. It also leaves the floor clear of cables and makes it easier and safer for parents and nurses to move about the baby.
- NICU is a room away from the hospital's Labor and Delivery unit.
- Two of the operating rooms in Labor and Delivery have pass-through windows that connect to four rooms in the NICU. When a baby is born who needs special care, the baby can literally be passed through a window to the NICU. The hospitals neonatologists and NICU nurses are right there when they're needed.
- The NICU is equipped with the latest in communication systems, which increases quietness and privacy in the unit. This allows the staff to monitor the baby's status and watch for clinical alerts.
- The NICU has a parent lounge where moms and dads can rest, visit with other family members, or talk with parents of other babies, which typically enhances the coping process.
- Each of the unit's four suites are designed and decorated to add warmth and personality to the unit and help reduce stress. Each suite has a unique theme. There's a farm, a cherry tree, the sky, and a pond.