To satisfy an Italian cuisine craving, this classic pasta puttanesca is perfect with a chunky red sauce filled with tomatoes, olives, capers, and fresh herbs. Chop up your favorite fruit for a healthy fruit salad, the perfect pairing with the pasta.
- 1/2 cup yellow onion, diced
- 2 1/2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 tsp.rred pepper flakes, crushed
- 1/4 cup vegetable broth
- 2 tsp. tomato paste
- 4 cups canned diced tomatoes, drained
- 2 tbsp. kalamata olive, chopped
- 1-1/4 tbsp. capers, drained and rinsed
- 1 tbsp. fresh basil, chopped
- 1 tbsp. fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 tbsp. fresh oregano, chopped
- 3 3/4 cups whole wheat penne pasta
- 5 tsp. parmesan cheese, shredded
Wilted Baby Spinach
- 1/4 tsp. olive oil
- 1 lb. fresh spinach
- 1 1/4 tsp. garlic, chopped
- 1 tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- In a sauté pan sprayed with non-stick cooking spray; add onion, garlic and crushed red pepper in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Cook for 4 minutes or until onions are translucent and beginning to brown; add broth and scrape bottom of pan to deglaze.
- Stir in tomato paste and cook 1 minute; add diced tomatoes, olives and capers; bring to a simmer.
- Reduce heat to medium; cook for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat and stir in basil, parsley and oregano.
- Separately, cook wheat penne pasta according to package instructions.
- Heat skillet with olive oil; add spinach, garlic and onion.
- Sauté briefly; add balsamic vinegar; toss to coat.
- Serve 1/2 cup of puttanesca over 3/4 cup whole wheat penne pasta with 1/2 cup Wilted Spinach.
- Garnish puttanesca with 1 teaspoon parmesan cheese per serving.