At St. Mary's Medical Center we’re happy to tell you about us: our compassionate caregivers, our clinical excellence, our award-winning care and even our beautiful campus
Learn more about our history and board of directors
In 1895, Sisters of Charity Balbina Farrell and Louisa Madden left Leavenworth, Kansas, on a mission to establish a hospital in the new western town of Grand Junction, Colorado. They opened a small, 10-bed, wooden-frame hospital on May 22, 1896. In 1912, a new brick wing opened, adding 20 beds to the hospital’s capacity. During the 30s, 40s and 50s, the hospital continued to grow.
In 1985, a 125,000-square-foot addition was built to house radiation oncology, a critical care unit, a telemetry and intermediate care unit, 20 pediatric care beds and a perinatal center. In 1986, St. Mary’s developed a heart program and provided the first open-heart surgery and postoperative care, eliminating the need for open-heart patients to travel 250 miles to Denver.
In 1994, an $8 million, five-story patient tower was completed, and in 2010, the new construction phase and remodel phase of the Century Project, the hospital’s multi-year expansion and renovated project, was completed. St. Mary’s celebrated its 100th anniversary in 1996. Throughout our history, the generosity of western Coloradans has enabled St. Mary’s to grow to meet healthcare needs and keep pace with an expanding population and medical advances.
It’s time to think of health in a whole new way. By partnering with our patients and communities, providing expert care closer to home, and making great health more affordable, we can help more people get and stay well. Learn more about Intermountain Health.